Monday, March 14, 2005

Doing for Myself

Lately I can count the weeks where I don't leave our neighborhood. Since my job is right here, I go from home to childcare to work to childcare to home. Tonight I got out, and it was very refresshing.

I decided to start a "Stitch N Bitch" group for Jerusalem. There was one, but it is on hiatus, so I decided to fill a need. I didn't overly publicize it, but we held it at a new cafe, called "Cafe on the Rails." It is run by Akim which is a place for developmentally disabled young adults. This worked out well for two reasons: 1) They are new, so it isn't so busy (actually tonight it was very busy) and 2) They don't have the expectations of great turnover, so you can nurse one drink for the evening.

Well, only two other people showed up, (one to say she couldn't come) but it still was nice. I got to not talk about work related things, knit and just enjoy myself! I'm sure once I spend more time in publiczing it people will come.

Sometimes it is important to give time to oneself.

1 comment :

amylovie said...

I received your comment about my DD & her knitting. In answer to your question:

I had to cast on for her. We then did several rows on knitting while I held her hands. It took her a while to get the rhythm, but once she did she really got it. She still makes many mistakes of course. Another hint I have on that end I got from my mother-in-law. She found an article about a yarn store that was giving knitting classes to kids. When a student made a mistake, like an accidental YO, she would tie the hole closed with some pretty yarn, thus making a decoration. This idea helped us becaus my DD would get very frustrated before we started that. Now it doesn't bother her. I hope that helps!

Amy